Name:
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Zebras, Wind, and Guy Love

I want to start off by mentioning the Scrubs musical episode that aired this past week (and included a song called "Guy Love", hence the title). I was able to watch it on my computer and it was AWESOME. You should definitely all check it out. I'm pretty sure that I had a silly smile on my face the whole time I was watching it. After all, there were, among other things, grown men singing about poo. Good quality stuff.

I am finding it difficult to find interesting things to write about my routine here in England - hence the lack of post last week. Classes have been proceeding pretty much as usual, although both the year 11s and year 9s wrote some practice exams this week and last. It turns out that my groups did fairly well. It is encouraging that my complete lack of knowledge of and experience with the British school system hasn't completely messed them up.

Time is also passing quite quickly, as usual, and the next few weeks or so should go even more quickly. We had to put off our Edinburgh trip until next week, the week after that I might be going to Cadbury world (that seems like it could be dangerous!) and then in 3 weeks we leave for Portugal. Not too bad of a schedule. Not that I'm trying to brag... I did, however, do some calculations on a particularly dull bus ride last week and discovered that, for the 80 day period between February 10th and April 30th, I have to go into work on a mere 41 of those days. Again, not a bad schedule. So I guess I better not whine about work for the next few months....

We DID have a wind storm last Thursday, which was slightly noteworthy. Walking home from the bus that day was quite challenging, actually. If you decided to take a step at the wrong time, you came dangerously close to being knocked over by a strong gust of wind. The roof of a nearby pub even blew off onto the street and they are still in the process of cleaning it up. Unfortunately for Meg and I, both of our schools were still intact the next day. No "wind damage days" for us. Not that I really need any more days off in the next little while (see previous paragraph).

I saw a sign on my way home from Norwich this afternoon that said "Caution, new Zebra crossing ahead". I'm sure that it must mean something other than "black and white horse-like animals need to cross the road here", but it still made me do a double-take. Maybe the Norfolk countryside is more interesting than I thought. Hmm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Snides said...

Sounds like a pretty nice schedule to me. Let me see, what do the next few weeks hold for me? Oh yes, work, work and let's not forget, WORK.

I will admit though that Steve & I are planning a trip in mid-Feb for a week somewhere, anywhere, warm.

Keep an eye out for the zebras.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Kristyn Hiemstra said...

Just after I finished reading your blog, I heard singing on the tv and I looked over and wouldn't you know it, Zach Braff was singing about poo! Without even meaning to, I had turned the tv on to the very Scrubs episode I had just read about :) I must also admit to having a very silly smile on my face the whole time, just like you. My personal favourite was definitely "Guy Love", and it's been stuck in my head ever since. It's nice to know that even though you are far away, we can laugh at the same sillies. :)

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home