Name:
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Guess I Should Post...

It has been awhile since I have updated my blog, and a fair bit has happened since then. The main thing was that Meghan and I went to Spain and Portugal last week for our half term break. We had a great time, saw lots of things, and the weather was warmer than it is here (all good things). It is probably easier to show you pictures, instead of trying to explain everything that we did, so here goes.


Our first stop was in Lagos, Portugal. It is mainly a beach town, and since it was not quite beach season it was quite dead when we were there. Still very nice though. I could see it being a nice place to come on vacation - nice beaches, supposedly nice weather in spring/summer, and a little bit of culture thrown in too.

In Portugal, people speak Portuguese, which is something I am not overly familiar with. Hence, there was a little bit of a language barrier at times. Here are some of the words I picked up as I went...
laranja = orange
sumos = juice
obrigado = thank you
aberto = open
You can probably see why we still experienced some communication difficulties, despite my command of the language.

Our next stop was in Seville, Spain. I thought it was quite a nice city. There were lots of things to see and an interesting culture, with flamenco and bull-fighting.


This picture is of the Placa d'Espana. It was a very nice square, designed for an expo that was held in Seville. I can't remember what the expo was for though.












We decided not to go to the right here. If you look closely you can see why.











This is where the bull fights are held in the summer. I was content to just take part in the arena tour.














From Seville, we took a day trip to Cordoba, home of winding, narrow streets, lots of orange trees, and the Mezquita (one of the best examples of Muslim architecture in Spain).










The inner courtyard of the Mezquita.














The inside of the mosque/cathedral (it went from cathedral to mosque back to cathedral) was huge and full of these types of arches.











My computer seems to have decided not to upload any more pictures, so I guess this post is prematurely finished. It also seems to have decided to make the format of this post all wonky, so that is why it looks so strange. Stay tuned for more (hopefully better aligned) pictures from Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Gibraltar at a later date!

1 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I definitely would not have gone right either *shudder*

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home