Name:
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Has It Really Been Two Weeks?

Remaining Chocolate Bars = 8. (Seriously!)

It seems slightly unbelievable but I have actually completed two full weeks of teaching. Time is just flying by, which I guess is a good thing - at least when I'm feeling homesick. But generally I am having a good time. As for my job, I am learning a lot as I go and am gradually becoming comfortable with the way that things work over here. I do find it hilarious that students are making appointments with me for Year 11 Parents' Night next Tuesday. One student put it well when he asked, "You really won't have much to say at this point, will you miss?" No, I will not indeed.

I have also discovered that when I was told that the students were relatively well behaved, the word "relatively" was key. English students are definitely more talkative than the students I have dealt with in Canada, and they definitely seem to have less "fear" of those in authority. Which is sometimes not a good thing. I do teach a lot of great kids though...they aren't ALL bad.

Aside from teaching, some of the last couple of weeks' highlights included:

- finally getting bank accounts AND our first pay cheques!

- visiting Norwich this afternoon, doing a lot of shopping (i.e. spending the aforementioned pay cheque), and being accosted by a man on the street handing out random incense...

- hanging out with our roommates, Darren and Kelly, who, sadly, are leaving us in a few weeks for Canada, of all places

-having my first English Starbucks! It was eerily similar to Canadian Starbucks...surprise, surprise.

So obviously it has been a productive couple of weeks.

I will close this post with a few pictures. More pictures of our house will probably follow (if and when I decide that isn't embarassing to stand on the street outside one' s house and take pictures), as well as pictures of our roomies and any future travels.


This is my room four weeks ago. It is now much more chaotic, and the walls are not as empty.

Another angle of my room.

Our Bathroom!

Meghan and I in Inverness.

Loch Ness.

A view of Urquhart Castle from across Loch Ness.
Our castle hostel in Culrain!
One of the lounges inside our Castle hostel.
The Nevis Range.
Me freezing near the top of one of the mountains in the Nevis range.

A very Mel Gibson-esque statue of William Wallace at the base of the Wallace monument.

The view from Stirling castle (the Wallace monument is in the distance)

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

ok, I'm going to live in Scotland.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Snides said...

It looks like the bathroom has the typical English carpet on the floor. Really don't understand that.

I'm also impressed that you have 8 whole chocolate bars left. I suspect that I would be down to 1 by this point!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Pretty picas. I'll go visit Steph lots when she moves to Scotland. Wish I could afford to come visit you!!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home